Upcoming debates signal LAUSD school board election in full swing
Craig Clough | January 14, 2015
The March 3 LA Unified school board election is fast approaching, and a series of upcoming debates is set to kick things into high gear.
So far, five debates have been scheduled, with one late this month and the others following in February.
The United Way is sponsoring four debates for the three seats that are competitive, and a collection of neighborhood councils in Northeast LA is sponsoring one debate for District 5. The United Way sponsors are providing childcare through registration (here).
Of the four board incumbents facing reelection on March 3, Tamar Galatzan in District 3 is facing five challengers, Bennett Kayser (District 5) and President Richard Vladovic (District 7) are each facing two challengers. George McKenna (District 1) is running unopposed and hence, there will be no District 1 debates.
In any race without a majority winner, the top two candidates will compete in a runoff on May 19.
The debates scheduled so far are:
- Board District 3 – Feb. 12 at 6 p.m. at North Hollywood High School
- Board District 5 – Jan. 28 at 6 p.m. at the Goodwill Community Enrichment Center in Northeast LA
- Board District 5 – Feb. 5 at 7 p.m. at Eagle Rock High School
- Board District 5 – Feb. 10 at 6 p.m. at the Oldtimers Foundation Family Center in Huntington Park
- Board District 7 – Feb. 6 at 6 p.m. at the Granada Theater in Wilmington